Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bloggerstock: Before There Were Blogs

I decided to participate in Bloggerstock again this month! Mostly because the theme was "before there were blogs," and I really wanted an excuse to read through my 4th grade diary. I swear, if I talked about God and Jesus any more, I'm pretty sure the good Lord himself would have ridden down from heaven on a white horse just to say, "OhmyfuckingMe, would you shut up about Us for one freaking minute?" I was a devoted follower, yo.

Anybabyjesushatesme, as I said, the theme is "before there were blogs". I'll let Alex explain what that means for you:

This month we are going to do a throwback post. Go find one of your diaries or journals, pick an entry, and post it for Bloggerstock. You are welcome to scan a page (or the entire entry) to include, or type it out. If you feel like you need to change some names or block out some things, that is OK as long as the entry is readable. Then re-examine the situation and re-write the entry as if it was something that happened today, so apply your current perspective. Show what your entry was like then and how you would have written it had it happened today.


You can find my post over at our founding father's blog hiz-ere.
 
This month, I'm happy to host a good bloggity friend, K. Syrah. She's been here once before for karaoke, but this will be here first time here with Bloggerstock. Make sure to check out her blog, Shoes Never Worn. Even if you don't agree with everything on it, you have to admit, it's a great read. Without further ado...
 
From 2002:


“I’ve only ever wanted to be a Writer, but the more I know of my peers, the more I think that books are dying. No one can tell good writing from bad. How the heck am I supposed to learn how to be good when even I’m having a hard time figurin[sic] it out?”

I can’t say that I feel different, from what I wrote almost a decade ago.

Most people who "love" On the Road by Jack Kerouac haven't actually read it. It’s like people who claim that they love the Bible, but can't quote the most rudimentary things about it (or have skipped that pesky Leviticus thing...). It seems that people only read something after the movie version has come out.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." said RNC Steele after declaring that his favorite book was War and Peace. Too bad that quote was from the much beloved Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

I don't blame him. Most people can't quote Melville past "call me Ishmael".

My whole life I have wanted to be a Soldier and a Writer, but each seem to be declining as a profession, losing their luster, and the values that had made them great.

Here I am, my second book going through edits and my third novel still in the pre-contemplative stage and I realize that I may be wasting my time.

I still lament the demise of my career, but pursue it nonetheless.

Futility is no obstacle to an addict.

13 comments:

  1. Hmm, On The Road was all right, and I did actually read it. I thought The Dharma Bums was better.

    People still read. It may not seem that way, but go outside and go to any library. They're always silently brimming with life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing you two together makes me SO SO SO happy.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, This is the orgy made in heaven, Nugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be terrified to find out what one of my diaries said back then. Kudos for you having the courage to put it out there!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GD amazing. I was unfortunately the crazy kid who was in love with EVERYONE. 1-4-# (I Love ????) always written on my hand (did anyone else do that or was my school just filled with douchey assholes?) Def going to find my old diaries riiiight now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We would always write our crush's name on our hands, too! We invested a lot of money in gel pens for that specific purpose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. & Syrah, I've read your blog before/part of your first book even, possibly? And I have to say that I think you're a great author!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your reference about people saying they "love" On the Road reminded me of when Paris Whoreface Hilton claimed that she spent her entire incarceration reading the bible and then once released she couldn't quote a single verse.

    Keep on writing. Your soul will appreciate it.

    The Ranter’s Box

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, On the Road. I did enjoy it, actually.. despite Kerouac's awful depiction of women. I like the Beat Gen- I don't agree with everything, but I like the writing style. I can appreciate it as pieces of Literature.

    One of my favourite quotes, incidentally, is from On The Road. The entire, "The only people for me are the mad ones.." bit. The sentiment behind it has always connected with me, as well as the actual construction of the sentence.

    /end Lit Theory.

    I wish I were as lucid in 2002 as you seem to be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read the Bible, or Kerouac. Or Dickens or anything or anyone else referred to in this post.

    So there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your diary entry is way better than mine which only talked about the magic of farts...that was from last week...I've grown a lot since then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. K. Syrah wrote this in 2002? How old was she? This sounds like something I'd hear on the college radio station. Very introspective for a young (ish? Maybe? Er...) person.

    ReplyDelete